Friday, August 24, 2007

No Novocaine For Me, Thanks!

Help friends, seriously help. I just went to the dentist and they pumped me full of novocaine I couldn't get numb. She wasn't even through the old filling and pain was shooting through me. I started sweating and it felt like heat was rushing down my legs. I tried to be brave but I have such a low pain threshold that it didn't matter. She could see me jumping and we eventually had to stop.

I am going to go back next week and hopefully it will work but I'm worried now. What if I can't get numb in that tooth and I have to suffer through horrible dental work pain in order to get my cavity filled? I doubt she will agree to anesthesia. I'm scared and I'm annoyed because we wasted over an hour and now my lip is numb for no reason now. Although the weird part is that my lip and cheek are not even remotely as numb as it usually gets. What is going on? Have I developed a tolerance to novocaine? This doesn't bode well for my future as someone will good dental hygiene. The older dentist said that he had only had such an experience a few times in all his years, I love being special!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What about laughing gas? Could you try that? I had gas when I had my (non-impacted) wisdom teeth removed, and that worked great.

afarrell said...

Hey, that sucks. I did a little research for you. It might be that the nerves in your gums are too low (or high, I'm not sure). Anyway you should check with other dentists and tell them what's happening. Apparently some dentists know about and understand the no numb issue and are better at giving the shot! Or insist on gas!

Jenna Schrock said...

Well uh, was there an option for you to get sedated? That would have knocked you out and helped your low pain tolerance. It's really puzzling why the painkiller didn't work. It must have been tough for you.

Anonymous said...

I'm in the chair right now with the exact same problem!
Not cool! It's approaching 2 hours now in I just want to get it over. 3 shots so far. I don't want to have to come back!

 
[Valid Atom 1.0]