Monday, January 7, 2008

30 is the new 30


This weekend I celebrated my 30th birthday with a triumvirate of revelry. First, I dined at Millennium, the gourmet vegan restaurant in downtown S.F. with my roomies and friends. Two storms rocked the Bay Area all day long, pelting us with heavy rain, blowing over trucks on the Bay Bridge, and causing power outages all over. Although the night was calm and clear, most people were scared away by the force of the storm and declined to come out for drinks that Pilsner. I just told them it was the universe representing my power.

However, some good people did show up and one of them told me that 30 is the new 30. I totally agree. According to Jay-Z 30's the new 20 but I think that's a load of garbage. I am way wiser than I was when I turned 20 and I'm not going to front, I don't have as much energy for partying as I used to. However, my taste for drama and willingness to engage in it has also diminished so I think it all evens out. My 30s are going to be about quality not quantity.

The next morning a group of us headed up North to Wilbur Hot Springs. I had never been to a geothermal hot springs before and parading around naked in public and cleansing myself in healing waters seemed like an appropriate passage into adulthood. Wilbur's slogan is "In all the world, no waters like these" and that may be true. The creek that the springs comes from smells like stinky sulfur and the water looks like green eggs and ham. Even thought I've taken numerous showers and washed my hair, I still stink. However, it was the most fun and I did feel rejuvenated from the sweating and soaking. We were required to pad around in bathrobes and sandals but it was ok because our bunk room was warm and cozy.

The only thing about Wilbur is that you have to be quiet and I am not a quiet person, nor do I keep quiet company. My friend Corey ended up getting wasted and shouting "fuck" several times over a heated game of Hearts. However, we charmed the other guests with our lesbionic ways. One of them even asked if we were part of a team because we worked so well together in the communal kitchen (sisterhood is powerful). Erika told them that "no, but we all play for the same team". Then on the drive home, we saw the most vibrant double rainbow any of us has ever seen. It was awesome.

No comments:

 
[Valid Atom 1.0]