Friday, November 21, 2008

Subbing: A Cruel Mistress

The morning is the easy part, except for waking up, that is excruciating, like being ripped from the womb. But after some tea, things get a lot better. After lunch, they get worse. I yell at children, like really yell. Raise my voice and shout BE QUIET. This quiets them a little, but not much. My throat starts to hurt. I forgot my whistle and there are no extras. Stupid public school.

There are signs all over that say 'Calm Bodies, Calm Minds.' I feel philosophically against these signs until three children get injured in 15 minutes. Then I wonder if a law suit is in my future. A girl breaks her shell necklace and is inconsolable.

I decide to make the diabetic boy from New Zealand the shark in sharks and minnows to boost his self-esteem. Then I wonder if one of the kids will bump into the drip pouch attached to his stomach and rip it out. This doesn't happen and he has the time of his life. He grins at me and his nose is encrusted in green boogers. He is wearing a white tank top with a pirate ship on it. I love him.

2 comments:

afarrell said...

A pirate ship!? I love him too!

Justin August said...

If you ever want some tips for classroom management, let me know. I sub on a regular basis for my lead teachers and am going to Mills next year (assuming I get in) for my credential.

-Justin
(justin@thesixman.com)

 
[Valid Atom 1.0]