Sunday, March 8, 2009

Current Celebrity Obsession: Peter Sarsgaard

I used to be seriously freaked out by Peter Sarsgaard, then I realized he was doing it on purpose. Probably most queers will remember him as one of the rapists in Boys Don't Cry, which was a convincing and terrifying portrayal. For a while his beady eyes and greasy hair were the personification of evil.

But slowly my opinion of Peter started to changed. It helped that since then he has played in such homo loving movies as Kinsey and Garden State (OK, Garden State is totally hetero and not gay at all, but I love it). He has continued to take creepy roles, but I think he brings complexity and depth to each character.

When I heard he was with Maggie Gyllenhaal (isn't it weird how they both have two a's at the end of their names?), I thought "This guy has got to be cool." Last year he starred in Chekov's The Seagull on Broadway, which my friend Jess said was amazing, and now he and Maggie are both doing Uncle Vanya--could he get cooler? Apparently yes, because he referred to Maggie, his fiancee and baby mama, as his "lover" in a recent interview. So cute. Here is a fun quote from my friend, and fellow Catholic, Peter:

"I like the death-cult aspect of Catholicism. Every religion is interested in death, but Catholicism takes it to a particularly high level...Seriously, in Catholicism, you're supposed to love your enemy. That really impressed me as a kid, and it has helped me as an actor...The way that I view the characters I play is part of my religious upbringing. To abandon curiosity in all personalities, good or bad, is to give up hope in humanity."

You are so intriguing Mr. Sarsgaard, who would have thought there'd be a special place in my heart for you?

No comments:

 
[Valid Atom 1.0]