Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Room with a View

For the last 30 min since I came back from lunch, I have been distracted by a scene taking place outside my office window on Capp Street. A white police officer started questioning the driver of a big truck double parked on the street. The driver gets get of the cab, she is middle-age Latina holding a baby in her arms. After a few minutes, a Latino man appears to stand next to her on the sidewalk.

From the back of the truck, it appears they are scavengers who recycle cardboard. The police learns they do not have a license or papers and I hear the detained man say "lo siento."

The first cop calls for back up and another white cops cop pulls up on a motorcycle. I walk around and tell all the attorneys in the building what is happening but everyone is busy. I go back to my window and continue to watch with my intern. Eventually the couple walk off, and the police stay behind with their truck. Now I am watching the old yellow Datsun getting towed away...

God F-ing Bless America.

2 comments:

dregina said...

Ugggh. This story comes on the same day that my coworker's sister - a single mom - got rear ended by a Mexican woman with no license, no papers and no insurance. Tricia (my co-worker) went down to the scene of the accident to help her sister, whose car was really bashed up. In the end they didn't call the cops - they're sympathetic - but 99.9% chance she'll have to pay for the repairs herself, which isn't right either. Ugh, ugh, ugh.

Anonymous said...

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/03/opinion/03tue1.html?em&ex=1212638400&en=fcc407f91e9d0ea6&ei=5070

 
[Valid Atom 1.0]