Monday, July 7, 2008

Morning

People keep asking me why I shaved my head. My answer of 'a mourning ritual' has been commonly misheard as a "morning ritual." Then they ask me why I feel the need to shave every morning.

My family thinks I look terrible, but the ladies seem to like it, so I'm not too concerned. Except when I start to think about the straight wedding I am attending this Saturday, then I start to feel nervous. It's my Italian side of the family, my dad's side, and they are a little more conservative than my moms. In a good Boston liberal way but still, I don't want anyone to feel like I was trying to ruin my cousin's wedding or something.

When I was younger I thought that I would only have to come out once, tell my parents, and then the information would be psychically broadcasted to everyone in my family and that would be that. Not so. I have learned there are stages, the first time they meet your date, or all your trans friends, or see you wearing a "eat pussy not cows" t-shirt. Coming out is a constant process, in each situation with my family I have to negotiate how out I want to be. This weekend, there will be no choice. My haircut screams "BIG LESBO" and it makes me a little nervous considering I have never actually articulated the words "I am gay" to most of these people. If they ask why I shaved my head, should I use the easy 'my cat died' excuse or should I go big (gay) or go home?

This morning, Sid, the first kitty I adopted on my own, a tiny black and white little guy, woke me up at 6am with a single meow. I thought he wanted to be fed, but downstairs I discovered that he just wanted me to open the screen door. The light streaming in from the windows next to my bed made sleep impossible, so I went to a 7:30am Bikram yoga class. The experience confirmed my hunch that I really don't like Bikram, it feels more like an aerobics class than yoga to me (I can't believe I got so into for a month five years ago).

Besides the sun, the other reason I couldn't fall back to sleep is because this weekend I BOUGHT A NEW CAR and if everything goes well at the insurance place, I can pick it up today . Yes, that's right, I achieved my goal of making it to 30 without ever owning a car, a small victory for a North American, and now I am the proud owner of a Toyota Yaris. More updates on this crazy turn of life events to come...

1 comment:

Andy said...

I want a photo introduction to said Yaris please

 
[Valid Atom 1.0]