Monday, April 28, 2008

Ghosts of Girlfriends Past

My friend Travis, who has been acting in plays and films since high school, was recently cast in a Matthew McConaughey movie with the chilling title "Ghosts of Girlfriends Past". Travis was good enough to answer a few questions about his unique experience playing a trans-man in a mainstream movie:

1. What is the plot of the movie?

A brief synopsis of this quality romantic comedy, directed by Mark Waters (the guy that did Mean Girls), is that, Connor (Matthew McConaughey), was taught by his player uncle (Michael Douglas) to never love or commit to a girl because you will just get your heart broken.

On the night of his brothers wedding, which he is fucking up and deeply resenting, he is visited first my his dead uncle's ghost to tell him he must change his ways and that he will be visited by three more ghosts. These three ghosts lead him into the past, present and future of his love live.

2. How did you get cast?

My friend forwarded me the info saying she had recommended me. I think it was originally on craigslist.

3. What was that process?

I got my line and memorized it, went to the casting agency and read for the casting director, her assistant and a camera. They then sent it to the director and I was chosen.

4. Who is your character?

My character was "barman" Conners' transgendered ex-gf Shauna. Its during his trip with the ghost of the past where he is confronted in a crowed bar full of all his ex's. In this case, one of his ex's is now a man.

5. Is it important that he is transgender?

I think it says a lot that the director was looking for and casted an trans person for this part. I feel like he could have used anyone, but he wanted a queer.

6. What purpose does it serve in the film?

The characters role is for comedy. Its probably not even in a straight man's consciousness that his ex-gf could become a man. So there is some great queer visibility for the mainstream in this, but without any degrading undertones. Conner remember Shauna, and moves on. He dosen't make a big deal out if it.

7. How do you feel about the portrayal of transsexuals in mainstream film/tv?

It's too bad that the brief amount of times transgendered people appear in sitcoms and films are usually for comic relief. I want an action hero.

8. How did you prepare for this role?

I said it over and over to myself as I rode to work. I tried saying it in different ways, but then when it came time to actually deliver, I was really nervous.

9. Describe your experience on the set:

It was me, in a suit, and then about 30 women dressed in the skimpiest outfits ever. I kept to myself most of the time, but had a few pleasant interactions about what I did when I wasn't playing Shauna.

Alot of the women came up to me and said they thought my line was the funniest. One women asked me if it made me uncomfortable to say it. I should preface this by saying I clearly did not pass as male on the set. So basically what she was asking, was if it was weird for me, a girl, to play a boy. I said no of course not, and moved on.

10. What were your interactions with Mr.McConaughey like?

Well, when he first arrived on set, I thought to myself, "Hmm...he looks a little different in the pictures." I thought maybe he got a haircut or it was because his shirt was on, but then realized, it was just his stand in, and the real Matthew came out.

He said to me he thought this bit was funny, and we shook hands. I didn't get a chance to invite him to JP to play kickball or anything, but he was fun to watch. He seemed extremely comfortable in his position, the famous guy on set, with people clawing at him, tucking in his shirt for him etc. And he looked great on camera (watching the monitors and all).

11. Based on this 1999 mugshot of Mr. McConaughey from thesmokinggun.com would you say it's likely he has had hair implants?

Defiantly possible. If he does, he should just embrace it like Poisons' frontman Bret Michaels who said this fine statement in a recent Rock of Love interview: "My hair is combined of my hair and the finest extensions Europe has to offer"

12. Do you feel it's important to have queer actors play queer roles?

Totally! We need the work! I'm mean sure, straight people out there have done a good job at different queer roles, but personally, I just have a warm feeling when I know that a person who is portraying a queer person is really queer.

13. When is this movie coming out?

February of 2009, says www.imdb.com I won't know if my bit made it in until I actually go see it!

14. What are you going to do with the $$$?

A new tattoo! Fly to SF! Pay my credit card bill!

15. If you could make a movie, what would the plot and characters be?

I'd make a mockumentary about a leather daddy competition.


Travis can be seen in the upcoming Maggots and Men, an independent film about Russian sailors in the Kronstadt Uprising of 1921, due out this summer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

interesting. i find matthew m. so gross. but cool entry.

 
[Valid Atom 1.0]