Thursday, May 14, 2009

Nosara-Where the Streets Are Paved In Molasses

I'm not kidding, it's smelly and there are giant yellowish-brown puddles in the road. Its the rainy season and things get quite muddy, hard to navigate in flip flops for sure.

Nosara is a surf haven, and the beginning of the trip was dominated by trying to learn. That was all put on hold as of yesterday when I was stung by a sting ray in the foot. It hurt so much, apparently it makes grown men cry like babies and is supposed to be worse than childbirth. I wouldnt know, but I cried enough to make the doctor give me an opiate dirivitive. Then the surf people sucked out the venom. It was a dark red little blob, get it out of me!

The trip hasnt been relaxing because surfing is quite a workout, and I got wicked sunburned the first day. The second day we went canopy zip lining, which was one of the most terrifying expereinces of my life. The men that took us up were serious tricksters, it felt like we were on the costa ricaian version of jackass. Except I was the fool who paid to risk my life.

Then yesterday was the sting ray incident which put me out of commission. I may try to go surfing tomorrow if I am up for it, but I feel cursed now. Its pretty uncommon to get stung, so apparently I have bad luck. Hopefully there will be no more mishaps.

Gender roles down here are intense, but Ill write more on that later.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

omg, ziplining in a rain forest is my wildest dream! you lucky bastard! sorry about the foot, though.

boston78 said...

dude, I climbed all the way to the top of the canopy to bail. Chicken style. Your bravery should be commended.

 
[Valid Atom 1.0]