Sunday, May 31, 2009

A Life Less Temporary

I subbed a few days last week, and found myself at the high school for the first time. Its changed but still very much the same. I shared with the first class that "I went to this high school...in the 90s--yay!" They looked me like I was a serious loser, so I stopped telling anyone but the other teachers about my alumni status. There were some nice students but it didn't really matter because all I had to do was show videos. If you can press play on a dvd, you can sub for high school English. For history class I showed a dvd on the 1950s in which Hugh Heffner and a woman who protested the intergration of schools at Little Rock are interviewed. Inappropriate.

One kid came in, put his bag down, stayed for attendance, and ask to use the bathrom. He didn't come back for forty minutes. I wrote a note narcing him out, but also included his explaination (got pulled into his guidence counselor--no, his deans--office). But high school distain is gravy compared to the intense malice of seventh graders. More to come on this next.

1 comment:

dregina said...

Cristian's moving from working with just middle schoolers to middle and high schoolers. He will be *so* glad to hear the high schoolers are easier....

 
[Valid Atom 1.0]