Monday, March 31, 2008

Brave New Weasel

I had this life goal: to make it to 30 without ever owning a car. And I did it! I am American, born and raised, and I have never owned an automobile--in your face Ford motor company! I have a license and enjoy driving every now and then, but since I left home 12 years ago, I haven't had regular access to wheels. However, I am moving back to Boston and all that is all about to change...I am going to buy a car.

If I could, I would buy a Prius, but I don't have $30k. So I am going looking for something with high gas mileage. That's really all I care about, both for the environment and my (soon to be empty) pocketbook. Ok, you all know I carry a wallet, but I feel really Boston using the phrase pocketbook. However, I am scared. Cars are so expensive, they cost money all the time, I won't have an income, and you can kill people driving them! I am trying to be brave and tell myself that people much less responsible than myself own cars and drive everyday but somehow that doesn't make me feel better.

If anyone has suggestions about types of cars let me know, right now I am leaning towards Volkswagons because my friends who own them love them.

Oh yeah, I also have a dream to be a crazy cat lady when I grow up, and I want my house to look like this ladys. She is an activist against the use of cat and dog fur pelts in Europe. Three of her cats disappeared last hunting season!

5 comments:

Justin August said...

My best friend Erin just bought a 2 door Yaris. It was like 15k brand new and gets really great gas mileage (35-40 I think). It's a pretty wonderful car.

dregina said...

I have a Honda Fit. Tiny car, lots of room inside for moving stuff, and if you drive efficiently and keep the tire inflated you get 37 mpg. Seamus turned me on to the idea of buying one. They're about $16,000 for an automatic....

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

i'm into the fit

Em Sixteen said...

hey mel-
i got a used hyundai accent 2004 for the same price as a 99 honda. the gas mileage is good and it only had 50k on it. the inside is pretty plastic, but it is similar to a toyota corolla...

 
[Valid Atom 1.0]