Thursday, March 13, 2008

I'm So In!

Today I got a gigantic package from Emerson College in the mail. It wasn't like the time Brown sent me an application packet three weeks after their admissions deadline had past (those online request forms sure work great!). No, this time it was an actual acceptance letter.

Thank you God.

They sent several heavy books which were tearing at the envelope and I wondered for a second if one of my housemates hadn't tried to sneak a peak before I got home. Inside, was a letter telling me I'm special, registration forms and a map of Boston. I found the map hilarious since I hardly know any of the street names of Boston, even though I grew up there. I can take you through Brookline via some fancy secret shortcuts but don't ask me to tell you how.

I texted everyone on the East Coast with the good news and then immediately began to feel overwhelmed. Leave San Francisco? No! (Insert lonesome howl here.) I walk to work in a t-shirt in March, there's no such thing as humidity, and people certainly never break bones falling on ice here. But there are many things I miss about the East Coast and it's totally time for me to leave my job.

The quitting plan I've had in my head for awhile is that I go in, turn to face Carlos's desk, shout "I QUIT!" and then dance around the room in a circle slapping my own butt and singing "I'm going to grad school, I'm going to grad school." Over and over. Awesome, huh?

Tonight I celebrated by drinking wine, comforting my housemates, crying and obsessively researching Emerson's rank online. In 1997, it was in the top 20, but now it's just in the top 50. Why the fall from grace? Apparently their funding sucks (great), but they have a prestigious journal, so that's exciting.

Anyway, I am still waiting to hear back from Brown, UT Austin, Irvine and SFSU, so nothing is definite yet. Although my little brother Matty already asked "When do you start?" All I can say is that I am extremely grateful I don't have to look for a new job.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, This is such great news! You are amazing, and any school that you decide to go to will be lucky to have you.

:) danny

Anonymous said...

i am so excited you might be on the sweaty coast with me. i am so proud.

-erika

Anonymous said...

You're wicked awesome.

We should have a "Oh fuck, we're gonna freeze to death come fall" party to celebrate the move from impoverished non-profiteers to impoverished grad students.

dregina said...

Hooray Hooray Hooray!!!

I'm still rooting for Austin. Of course.

 
[Valid Atom 1.0]