Thursday, February 14, 2008

Things I Love

It's Valentine's Day and while I don't love Eve Ensler, I am glad that she revisioned the consumerist holiday to have something to do with vaginas. Here is a shameful secret: I have never seen the Vagina Monologues. I think I read part of them once in college, but I have never sat in an audience and watched women shout about their vaginas from stage. I don't know where I went wrong in my feminism, but somewhere the 3rd wave failed me. Because love is good and should be celebrated, I would like to share some things I am grateful for today.

The Top 10 Things I Love on Vday:
  1. Finn, my cat. Ok, you all saw this one coming but seriously, he is one cute little meow! Have you ever seen such a bushy tail in your life? I love him so much. Even when he attacks me or refuses to sleep on my bed, because the eventual cuddle times more than make up for it. And no, we aren't in an abusive relationship.
  2. I love my friends. I feel really blessed to have so many people I love in my life. Even though it makes me sad to live so far away from most of you.
  3. I love Led Zepplin. I totally do. My love for them has lasted past high school and being a pot head, so I think it's true love.
  4. I love San Francisco. It's so beautiful here right now, every morning I walk to work and get to look at a green and lush Bernal Hill. It messes with my head that I live someplace that is alive during the winter but dead and scorched in the summer but I praise the sun god everyday he shows his face during these months.
  5. I love my apartment. I don't have a lot of love for my landlord and I wish we had a real living room, but my housemates are the best. It took 3 years, but the perfect combo of people was worth waiting for.
  6. I love that I can listen to my ipod at work. Sometimes Carlos and I battle for control of the speakers, but if I get here first in the morning I get to listen to my music all day long. It rules.
  7. I love to travel. I don't know where or when I will get into grad school, but when I do I am so quitting my job and traveling for as long as possible. I hope to take another road trip and am so excited!
  8. I love Boston accents. The classism of Brookline was so intense that I made sure never to imitate my parents accents as a kid. In fact, my brothers and I would mock my mom and dad for the way they talk. But now, when I talk on the phone to my mom, my heart melts everytime she says "cah".
  9. I love being a secret hippy. I love yoga, the goddess, organic food, being vegetarian and earth friendly products. And I love other people who share my love for these things but also like to wear black alot.
  10. I love dancing. Especially to hip hop. And I don't do it enough.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this cat tried to kill me

 
[Valid Atom 1.0]