Thursday, November 22, 2007

My Family...


is unhappy that I didn't come home for Thanksgiving. My aunt, Eileen, just got back from Iraq which is clearly a big deal and I would have loved to see her, but it just wasn't happening this year. For one thing, my x-mas ticket back to Boston already cost me $600. My mom and dad probably would have paid for most, if not all, of my ticket to come back for t-day but I hate flying, and I already flew once this month. Plus, I need this weekend to work on my grad school applications (a reason my brother found most dissatisfying).

I have always hated Thanksgiving: the football, the awkward meal time, the whitewashing of genocide, I honestly never enjoyed it. Which is why I have rarely been present for one with the fam since I left home when I was 18. Instead, today, I am having a Vegan Feast Against Imperialism with my chosen San Francisco (gay) family. Sometimes I think about moving back to the East Coast, it would make the holidays so much easier, but then I would have to live on the East Coast. And it's cold there. And I hate the cold. I feel conflicted.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love you and your Vegan Feast Against Materialism, Mel.

 
[Valid Atom 1.0]